Sunday, April 17, 2005

Hospital Drama

Yet again this week I have not been performing my usual post quota – could it be the novelty is wearing off? No! I’d never give up this my own private soapbox on which I can share my views and news with the world. Instead I was unable to post due to medical problems, just not my own.

On Tuesday night when I came home about 6pm Michelle, who had taken the day off, had still not returned from the pub lunch she had went to with friends at around 2pm. When she did come in she was happy to see me, if fact she was happy to see most things thanks to the four Long Vodkas she had had during lunch. However after an hour or two she was a little less jovial and suffering from a headache, which I naturally teased and showed no sympathy for being the pillar of sobriety that I am. Pitiless am I am to the hangover sufferer I did find it a little weird when she started feeling nauseous – Michelle may be a light weigh in the holding your booze department but upchucking after four drinks? I don’t think so.

Soon after the nausea presented (that’s my ER-esk way of saying started) Michelle was being physically sick, in fact violently sick – this I knew was not due to four drinks. Once the sickness stated it didn’t stop, at all.

At 1 o’clock in the morning Michelle, still being sick, was now beginning to lose consciousness and was visibly thinner and I did what I should have done hours before and called the NHS Helpline. The nurse I spoke to told me to take Michelle to an after-hours clinic and made and appointment for her at Hairmyres for 1:30am that night. I quickly helped Michelle get dressed and phoned a taxi to take us down to the clinic. When we went out to get the taxi Michelle and collapsed at the door to the close and the taxi drove away, the driver shouting to me to phone an ambulance as he went.

I had left my phone in the flat, Michelle was barley conscious at the door of the close and I didn’t know what to do. I decided to get the phone, which meant leaving Michelle in the close – not my favourite decision, but then bad decisions seemed to be my forte that night and what else was I going to do?

The ambulance, lights flashing, took about five minutes to come – it felt like an hour. Once it arrived Michelle was quickly hooked up to monitor, her blood pressure taken, given oxygen, blood was taken and she was hooked up to a drip. I was to put it in the most accurate terms ‘shitting myself’ so you can imagine how Michelle must have felt (turns out not too bad – she was completely out of it).

We left the hospital at four or five in the morning, Michelle was pretty much the same, but they had given her an injection to stop the sickness (for a while) and said the best place for her was to be at home. I never slept, and Michelle didn’t much either as she was soon being sick again.
Over the whole of Wednesday Michelle showed no improvement but was thankfully able to fall into a deep sleep around 4pm which was largely undisturbed until the next morning. As much as I appreciated everyone’s concern I was unable to sleep until eleven that night due to constant phone calls and being overtired.

Today is Sunday and Michelle seems fine, and is as we speak demanding bacon sandwiches for breakfast, The loss of appetite that came with the sickness having subsided sometime yesterday.

If you’re wondering her illness was called Gastroenteritis (gastric flu), I’ve provided a link so you can look it up – it sounds a lot better than it was.

No comments: