Thursday, May 26, 2005

Idol Chat

Think about your hero, think why they are your hero and what it is you admire about them. I only bring it up because I mentioned my own hero, Muhammad Ali, in last night’s blog and thought that I should qualify or explain that statement.

Born Cassius Marcellus Clay to a poor family in Louisiana Ali fought his way to the top becoming Heavy Weight Champion of the world for the first time in 1964. After retaining the title for 3 years beating 9 challengers, Ali was stripped of the title in 1967 for refusing to be drafted into the Vietnam War. He would twice regain his stolen title becoming the first man in history to win the belt three times and becoming the greatest boxer of all time. Despite his sporting achievements, which are impressive and worthy of note, it was Ali’s actions outside of the ring which merit my idolism.

His refusal to join the US Army came after the draft board, which Ali had been tested by previously, altered their requirements for service meaning that hundreds of men who had been unfit for service suddenly found themselves being fitted for boots and a helmet. Using his position as a public figure Ali refused to fight in war for the same people who would not allow him to sit with them on the bus or eat at their table – In his own words, spoken to a reporter,
"No Vietnamese ever called me nigger."

It is this firm conviction in what he believes to be right and his
unflinching will power to do what says which I admire. He was poorly educated
but highly intelligent and as fast with his mouth as he was in the
ring.

There is a line in the film ‘Ali’ ,which I am not sure if
Muhammad ever spoke, but I believe it sums up the man perfectly.
"I don’t got to be what nobody else wants me to be and I ain’t afraid to be
what I want to be."

What better words to live by are there?

No comments: