Monday, May 30, 2005

What's in a Name?

The title of my new Blog, ‘Comfortador’, is a word which was invented by writer extraordinaire Joss Whedon, the man responsible for films such as 'Alien:Resurrection' and 'Toy Story' as well as the excellent comic book series ‘Astonishing X-Men’. His television work however is what he is most famous for, having created the critically acclaimed cult television shows ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ and ‘Angel’

The word is a play on ‘Conquistador’ a word that literally means ‘He who conquers’ but I believe can used to also mean ‘He who seeks conquest’. It is from the second meaning that Comfortador is derived from - meaning ‘He who seeks comfort’.

I had a text from my friend Michael (Nigel) yesterday asking me to describe him in just one word. I couldn’t do it, I came up with ‘witty’ which was, to put it plainly and politely, rubbish. But comfortador is my ‘one word’, my descriptive. All I want is to live a quiet and happy life. I don’t seek fortune or fame but I equally don’t want to constantly struggle and be unremarkable. I don’t care if I’m the best or if I win or lose, I have no interest in conquest I just want to be happy, to be comfortable.

I know that might seem a little boring, a little unambitious, maybe even a little old fashioned - but I’m comfortable with that.

No comments: