Monday, October 24, 2005

4x3

So we get one of those wee cards through the door, you know the ones that say you have to go down the centre to the post office to collect something, and it says we have to pay £1.27 postal or something like that. So Michelle and I are all like "Cool beans that must be the Halloween costumes!”. So I get showered and dressed and get on my way down to the collection point full of smiles and relief that our costumes had finally arrived. You might even say I had a spring in my step.

So I get to the post office window, I've got my smash ready to had over and I ask the gentleman behind the counter to bring me my goods. Off he goes then into the back, he's a few minutes back there but I don't mind, I figure that maybe the box/boxes are awkward to carry due to the size of them. He's soon back at the window and I'm confused because he's not plunked down a couple of awkward boxes in front of me. He's not even plunked an easily handed box down, no; he has gently placed a 4x3 inch envelope in front of his customer. Me.

I study this posty guy for a sec. He's not got a lot to do behind this window I think. He's bored and having a little joke at my expense. He must read my thoughts because he says
"You can read it and decide if you want to pay if you like".
I do as he suggests and remove a small card from the small envelope which proclaims 'Thank You!' rather than the 'You're on Candid Camera!' I was hoping for. Inside the card is my sisters hand writing thanking Uncle Craig and Auntie Michelle for the Dora the Explorer Leapster game I bought my niece Anna for her 4th birthday singed off with her own oversized, yet impressive for a new four-year-old, signature. Needless to say; I paid.

My sister assures me that she did put a stamp on the card but since that time I've learned that several others also had to make a pilgrimage to their own post offices to pay for their own 4x3 inch card.

No comments: