Thursday, March 03, 2005

Where Everybody Knows My Name

Michelle is the first person I can think of it happening with. First time I met her she said ‘Oh I know you!’ Turns out we were in the same class in Primary Six (something which I still have no recollection of). It happens all the time and I can’t understand it. I hardly ever go out now and before that I never went out at all for about three years. I never speak to people I don’t know. So why do all these people keep saying they know me?

I was asking about Nigel’s new girlfriend last night and he said ‘Oh, she knows you’ much like Michelle had said all those years ago. The same thing happened with a girl Sparkie was seeing a few months ago and when I met my friend Elaine at the dancing, whose boyfriend was with her and I am certain I have never laid eyes on, said the same thing again. And there are others too.

Sometimes they don’t give the ‘Oh’. Sometimes they say ‘Well *he/she* doesn’t really know you, but *he/she* knows your name.How! Why do people know my name? How have I, of all people, got such notoriety? I would be surprised if even my best friends spoke about me. There are no stories about me as far as I know, I don’t do anything interesting and I don’t work with people that live in East Kilbride.

I just can’t work it out.

No comments: