Monday, December 13, 2004

Supersonic.

It's quarter to two on Monday morning and I'm waiting on a stupid download to finish. It's been at 99% since before Bullitt finished three quarters of an hour ago. If I wait any longer I'm going to go fucking postal like that Chewin' The Fat guy in advert.

Needless to say that's not what the 'Supersonic' of my title is about. Was at Dings with some friends and acquaintances and two people I never met before to celebrate one the girl's 22nd Birthday. It was a surprise dinner and we were told to be there for half seven though the table wasn't booked for eight. As a group of us sat in the takeaway area we were all vaguely worried that waiting in a room with a glass door might ruin the shock value. It turned out okay however she was surprised, there was good conversation and food, funny jokes and... Kareoke.

As you know I'm not really a guy who likes attention of any kind so there was no singing of my own done, not on my own at least. The song was one of Queen's, I don't know it but I think the title's Supersonic Man?(Stuart can confirm or correct in the comments if he would be so kind), the Singers were Stuart, Scott, Gary, Dillon and myself. Now like I said; I don't know the song too well so I struggled to keep in time with the well versed and constantly ad-libing vocal talents of Stuart and Scott. Dillon, from what I can gather from the look of fear (which mirrored my own I'm sure) was pretty much in the same place that I was.

It was a good laugh though, and one that went down well with the patrons who gave what I'm sure was the nights best cheers. I kind of wondered if I could have had the guts to sing myself at some point. I remember I had a friend Kevin, who we called Steveo (don't ask), who was in a band and sometimes brought his guitar out. One night at his house he was playing the guitar and everyone was singing along. About half way through the song I realized that everyone but me had stopped singing and that they were listening to me.

I sang quite a few times after that, always with the accompaniment of Kev or my other mate Titch's guitar. For some reason the instrument being played gave me the confidence.

Never did anything at all on Saturday, I was quite happily curled up on the couch with Michelle. All weekend after Friday though I've been walking around singing 'don't stop me now, I'm having such a good time...'

No comments: