Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Three Weeks in '98: Toothpaste Fury! Part 3

What was I supposed to do? Yes he's caused havoc, offended several neighbours, attacked people and got the police called out, but he's a mate so what could I do? Titch was coming back in.

About an hour after David had come to plead his case he and Titch appeared at the back door. The house was quiet as most people had fallen asleep, the effects of gallons of alcohol (a mere fraction of the Miller cans that remained uncrushed were used the next day to build a pyramid which was the same height as me) and the excitement of the last few hour having wiped them out, so it was just the three of us in the kitchen. Titch sat on one of the chairs that that had been brought in earlier and I sat across from and I sat across from him with Dave just at his back. We were surrounded by a sea of empty bottles and cans as we sat, I asked Titch if he was okay and he told me 'no' and kicked a bottle that was at his foot. me and Dave shouted at him then and told him to quit it, he told us he was sorry and explained why he was so angry. Dave and I listened to him while at the same time as casually and unobvious and wearily as possible we moved away any bottles and potential missile/weapons that surrounded Titch. When he finished the story he told us Titch said.

"I swear to God, I almost lost it"

David cracked. His face hidden behind Titch's back as he bit his hand to keep from laughing. I however was facing the bear and I knew one small crack in my face would get me mauled.

"I thought you were going to at one point" I said biting my lip, nearly off, and trying not to look at Dave as the tears of laughter ran down his face.

We went to bed soon after, well I did anyway. Dave went home to face a hyper and manic Mair, another friend who had went to sleep over at Dave's and then took a drink of Tia Maria (I'll tell you later), and Titch sat on one of the living room chairs among the fallen soldiers.

He was still there in the morning, though curiously a radius had formed around him, almost like the unconscious bodies of those on the floor had instinctively shifted in the interest of self preservation. Elaine had woke me, she said she had went down stairs already but when she had opened the door, Titch, still asleep, had banged his fist down on the arm and barked something at her. We creped downstairs and gently opened the door. Nothing. We stepped over the our unconcious friends quickly and quietly and -

BANG!

He unconsciously brought his first down again, and we jumped and ran to the kitchen. Not my most manly moment but you have to appreciate the tension. We laughed in the kitchen as I filled Elaine in on what happened when Titch came back when we herd someone walking slowly towards the kitchen. We didn't move, we watched the door fearfully. Had he heard us? Had his sleep somehow recharged his rage? It was Johnny I think. We sighed and explained what happened, Johnny revelled (in a whisper of course) that he had put the Toothpaste on the top.

Titch woke soon after and went straight home. Later on that afternoon Sparkie, Nigel, Kenny and I were sitting up the school talking about the night when he came back We all spoke, no hard feelings, Titch asked us who had put the toothpaste on his top and we told him we didn't know (Johnny revealed it to him one night not too long ago, apparently he was still raging).

"I was so angry last night" said Titch

"Yeah" said Kenny "I heard you almost lost it..."

No comments: