Sunday, January 16, 2005

Cam by name...

Michelle and I were baby sitting her niece and nephew last night. I wasn’t really looking forward to it, it was Saturday night after all, and the thought of screaming kids wasn’t the most welcoming.

Before Michelle’s sister and her husband left we were told that Cameron (Cam for short), who was in her room could watch the end of ‘E.T.’ and then it was ‘sleepy time’.

Cam is two and a half years old and since Ryan, her baby brother, was born in November she’s been a little clingy to her mum. She is also an expert tantrum thrower, so when Michelle appeared up the stairs to say it was sleepy time it didn’t go down too well. Michelle read her a story with the promise that Cam would go to sleep after it. Never trust the word of a two-year-old.

Cam broke into tears as soon as Michelle rose to leave the room, which for her is not uncommon even with mum and dad. We decided to leave her to her tantrum, which for Cam happened every few nights, so she would tire herself out. She screamed, not cried, screamed, screamed a blood curdling scream that you expect only to hear in an A & E or funeral. I caved after five minutes. Think that’s weak? You try it.

When I went up I tried the tough approach and as soon as Cameron saw me I said in firm voice ‘Enough’. My dad had always used the ‘Enough’ with me and it seemed to work, so I gave it a shot. Cam took one look at me as soon as I said it, reached her arms out to me and said in her choked and tear filled little voice ‘I want my mummy!’ The tough approach lasted that long.

I went in to the room and sat on her tiny bed for about half an hour and she cried a heaving cry as she cuddled into me and cried for her mummy. Eventually I got her to lie down on her bed and stayed with her until she fell asleep. When I stood to leave she cried a little, but all I said was that she had to sleep and I had to go away and she cuddled back into her bed.

Although she was crying and upset, and I know it might not be the most manly statement, but it was nice to have her fall asleep in my arms and stay with her until she was calm. Truth be told, I can honestly think of worse ways to spend a Saturday night.

No comments: